The annual Joy of Art exhibit, inaugurated in 2008, features two-dimensional and three-dimensional work by current Maine artists, both amateur and professional, aged 16 or older. Awards are made in several categories identified in the published guidelines with an additional Peoples’ Choice Award announced at the close of the exhibit. This signature event is co-sponsored by the Friends of the Topsham Public Library and the Library’s Board of Trustees.
TWELFTH ANNUAL JOY OF ART – January 13 to February 22, 2020
2020 award winners in five categories (see below) were announced at the Artists’ Reception on Saturday, January 18, 2020. Artists, their friends and family, and members of the public enjoyed refreshments, community, conversation, and, of course, inspiring artwork!
Don’t miss the Artist Talk on Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 11:00 AM when you will hear from each of the award-winning artists and learn the winner of the People’s Choice Award. You can vote for your favorite artwork for the People’s Choice Award until 2:00 PM on Wednesday, February 19th.
Library Lover’s Lottery: Become a member of the Friends of the Topsham Public Library by Saturday, February 22, 2020 at the Artist Talk and you will be entered into our lottery to win “Storm at Sunset,” a soft pastel artwork by Barbara Snapp, after a photograph by Dan Bush. Already a member? Then you are automatically entered into the drawing. You do not need to be present to win.
Congratulations to the 2020 Joy of Art Winners!
- PEOPLE’S CHOICE: to be announced on Saturday, February 22 at 11:00 AM
- OIL/ACRYLIC: Donna J. Coffin for “Wood & Little Islands”
- PASTEL: Mercedes Gastonguay for “High Tide at Monhegan Island, ME”
- WATERCOLOR: Les Borodinsky for “Shelter from the Storm”
- MIXED/OTHER MEDIA: Libby Sipe for “Oscar Wilde”
- 3-DIMENSIONAL: Douglas Kanes for “Many Eyed Spirit Animal Mask”
- OIL/ACRYLIC: Penny Markley for “Mill Stream”
- PASTEL: Beverley Price for “Jack in the Field”
- WATERCOLOR: Max Annable for “Aventuras”
- MIXED/OTHER MEDIA: Cheryl Young for “Fox in Glade”
- 3-DIMENSIONAL: Robert Metivier for “Island” Cottage”
Registration for 2021 Joy of Art will begin in November 2020. Printable guidelines with rules of entry, including framing requirements and key dates for this year’s Joy of Art 2020, can be found here: Joy of Art 2020-Guidelines-FINAL (Rev #1)