The annual Joy of Art exhibit, inaugurated in 2008, features two-dimensional and three-dimensional work by year-round Maine artists, both amateur and professional. Awards are made in several categories identified in the published guidelines with an additional Peoples’ Choice Award announced at the close of the exhibit. This signature event is co-sponsored by the Friends of the Topsham Public Library and the Library’s Board of Trustees.
ELEVENTH ANNUAL JOY OF ART – January 15 to February 23, 2019
All are welcome at the Artists’ Reception on Saturday, January 19, 2019 from 1-3pm where award winners in a range of media will be announced. Join us for refreshments, community, conversation, and of course, inspiring artwork! You can vote then for the Peoples’ Choice Award or on a later date during the show.
Don’t miss the Artist Talk on Saturday, February 23, 2019, at 11:00am when you will hear from each of the winning artists and learn the winner of the People’s Choice Award. You can vote for your favorite artwork until noon on February 20.
Library Lover’s Lottery: Become a member of the Friends of the Topsham Public Library by Saturday, February 23, 2019 at the Artist Talk and you will be entered into our lottery for a chance to win a very special piece of art: “A Little Bit Off the Top” by Antje Kay Sutton. The piece is on display at the library circulation desk. Already a member? Then you are automatically entered into the drawing. You do not need to be present to win.
The work of award-winners from Joy of Art 2019, along with the work of award-winners from Joy of the Lens 2019, will be featured in an exhibit from August 21 to September 19, 2019, at the Topsham Public Library.
Congratulations to the 2018 Joy of Art Winners!
2019 Joy of Art winners will be announced at the Artists’ Reception on January 19.
- PEOPLE’S CHOICE: Antje Kay Sutton for “Headdress” (Mixed Media)
- OIL/ACRYLIC: Ann Slocum for “Untitled #2”
- PASTEL: Amy Puleo for “Boothbay Trail”
- WATERCOLOR: Robert Kahler for “Moonlight, Ice Out, Androscoggin”
- MIXED/OTHER MEDIA: Natasha Kempers-Cullen for “Red Doors”
- 3-DIMENSIONAL: Howard Soloman for “Sweetie”
- PEOPLE’S CHOICE: Emily Hollister for “Focus” (Colored Pencil)
- OIL/ACRYLIC – Kevin Mizner for “Joan”
- MIXED/OTHER MEDIA: Barbara Snapp for “Market Street, Kinsale”
- 3-DIMENSIONAL: Howard Soloman for “Studley”
For key dates and rules of entry for Joy of Art 2019, please see Joy of Art 2019-Guidelines-FINAL.
To view the Library’s gallery policy and required waiver, click here: Gallery Policy and Waiver 2015