The annual Joy of Art exhibit, inaugurated in 2008, features two-dimensional and three-dimensional work by current Maine artists, both amateur and professional, aged 16 or older. Awards are made in several categories identified in the published guidelines with an additional Peoples’ Choice Award announced at the close of the exhibit. This signature event is co-sponsored by the Friends of the Topsham Public Library and the Library’s Board of Trustees.
Registration for the next JOY OF ART will begin in November 2020.
Registration for the Thirteenth Annual Joy of Art will begin in November 2020. Printable guidelines with rules of entry, including framing requirements and key dates for this year’s Joy of Art 2020, can be found here: Joy of Art 2020-Guidelines-FINAL (Rev #1)
TWELFTH ANNUAL JOY OF ART – January 13 to February 22, 2020
2020 award winners in five categories (see below) were announced at the Artists’ Reception on Saturday, January 18, 2020. Artists, their friends and family, and members of the public enjoyed refreshments, community, conversation, and, of course, inspiring artwork!
At the Artist Talk on Saturday, February 22, 2020, we heard from the award-winning artists and learned the winner of the People’s Choice Award, selected through ballots cast by visitors to the exhibit.
Library Lover’s Lottery: One lucky family member of the Friends of the Topsham Public Library won “Storm at Sunset,” a soft pastel artwork by Barbara Snapp, after a photograph by Dan Bush, in the drawing at the Artist Talk in which all members of the Friends were automatically entered.
Congratulations to the 2020 Joy of Art Winners!
- PEOPLE’S CHOICE: Alyssa Smith for “Quiet Evening” [Acrylic, India Ink, Gold Leaf]
- OIL/ACRYLIC: Donna J. Coffin for “Wood & Little Islands”
- PASTEL: Mercedes Gastonguay for “High Tide at Monhegan Island, ME”
- WATERCOLOR: Les Borodinsky for “Shelter from the Storm”
- MIXED/OTHER MEDIA: Libby Sipe for “Oscar Wilde”
- 3-DIMENSIONAL: Douglas Kanes for “Many Eyed Spirit Animal Mask”
- OIL/ACRYLIC: Penny Markley for “Mill Stream”
- PASTEL: Beverley Price for “Jack in the Field”
- WATERCOLOR: Max Annable for “Aventuras”
- MIXED/OTHER MEDIA: Cheryl Young for “Fox in Glade”
- 3-DIMENSIONAL: Robert Metivier for “Island” Cottage”